Friday, May 8, 2015

Talking about the end of the world....

Well, my Facebook feed is alive tonight, mainly with people unhappy and hurting over the election results. People concerned about the future of the country, about what it means for certain groups, people talking about this result as if it was the end of the world. And I'm sure, although they've been pretty quiet (at least on my feed) there are other people celebrating, thinking that the right result has happened, looking forward to the next five years and what I will mean for the country. 

There are few topics more likely to divide people than politics, and I have no intention of discussing the outcome, whether its good or bad, or what it may or may not mean either for me or for other people in the city. 

Of course, the other topic equally likely to divide is religion, but here I'm not going to be as cautious, because as I was reading the Bible earlier today, I was challenged by these verses:-

"I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people – for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Saviour" 
(1 Timothy 2:1-3, NIV)

I was challenged because I'm usually pretty cynical about all politicians, of all political flavours, quick to find fault in what they do, and slow to recognise that the job they are doing is actually one that I wouldn't want, however much the pay, publicity and expenses are. Do I make prayers, petitions and intercessions for them as I should? I know I don't give thanks for them anywhere near as often as I should, at least according to this.

And, in case anyone starts suggesting that this only applies to worthy authorities, it turns out that when Paul wrote this, the ultimate (in human terms) authority was Emperor Nero, known as an arch-persecutor of Christians and quite possibly responsible for the ultimate execution of both Paul and Peter - as well as being known for the murder of his mother, for crushing Boudicca and defeating and scattering the Jewish people after a revolt. But Paul still tells us to give thanks for all those in authority, as well as praying for them.

Of course, Christian individuals, and the church collectively, have a duty and responsibility to act wisely, to challenge the decisions of those in authority and to encourage them to act in a merciful, just and Godly manner - and I give thanks for the way the church has done that in the last five years, and pray we will continue to do so. 

But I also pray that Christians will continue to follow Paul's instructions, to give thanks and intercede for those who chose to take up positions of authority, and to trust the God will provide them with Wisdom in the decisions they take, and will do my best to do the same myself for the next five years.  


No comments:

Post a Comment